Ivermectin reduces multiple sclerosis* in mice - that may explain why it works for chronic illness

Scientists induce Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis (EAE) to mimic multiple sclerosis in humans. Zabala et al. (DOI:10.15252/emmm.201708743) found that high doses of ivermectin at 1.0mg/kg reduces symptoms in mice with EAE

Data from the Risk Factors Survey (and a PLRC survey) shows that new-onset autoimmune disease is diagnosed at VERY high rates in post-vax and Long COVID patients. If there is some kind of autoimmune component to either condition, then that may explain why some people respond to ivermectin.

Human doses of ivermectin

The Zabala and colleagues study used 1.0mg/kg, which is very high. The normal dosage of ivermectin is 0.2mg/kg or a fifth of the dosage that they use. You take it once to get rid of parasites, not multiple days. 0.2mg/kg every day has been used in chronic illness patients. 0.6mg/kg every day for 5 days has been studied in large randomized controlled trials for acute COVID (which is not a chronic illness), where there didn’t seem to be safety issues.

Above 0.6mg/kg every day starts to get into unexplored territory… I don’t think it’s a great idea.

The connection between post-vax, Long COVID, ME/CFS and animal models of autoimmunity

Autoimmunity has been extensively studied in animals because scientists know how to make mice really sick with autoimmune disease. This can be done with vaccines, infections, and adjuvants - chemicals that trigger TLR and other innate immunity pathways. For some reason, the innate immunity pathways are a double-edged sword. When they are triggered by infection, they help the animal fight off infection. (Scientists can test this by manipulating the genetics of the mice so that a particular TLR pathway is weakened or eliminated.) But when they are triggered by adjuvants, autoimmune disease can develop.

My theory is that the triggering of innate immunity is what leads to ME/CFS, Long COVID, and post-vax.

Survey data suggests that ivermectin is one of the top treatments for post-vax and Long COVID

See the data here… it’s one of the top 6 treatments.

Regardless of how it works, it seems to be among the best tools for fighting chronic illness. It is very safe in health people and less so in chronic illness patients. So please understand the risks of what you’re getting into. Also please understand that it likely makes a few unlucky people worse, which may (or may not) be avoidable if you start with low dosages and quit early if things go the wrong way.

So there you have it. The fabled :horse: de :worm: er drug may be useful for chronic illness.

1 Like