Hypocortisolemic ASIA theory of post vax, Long COVID, and ME/CFS

Ruiz-Pablos and colleagues put out a paper on their theory regarding chronic illness. Because most of us care about treatment, I’ll just skip to that part.

In addition, it is proposed that treatment with antivirals, corticosteroids/ginseng, antioxidants, and metabolic precursors could improve symptoms by modulating the immune response, pituitary function, inflammation and oxidative stress.

Patients have tried a lot of things and that includes most of the treatments listed above. Corticosteroids and antioxidants (in the form of supplements and diet) were fairly popular. They don’t particularly seem to help people recover - see the data from the Patient Experiences Survey.

I didn’t collect data on ginseng but… I doubt that it should be grouped together with corticosteroids. Corticosteroids are one of the highest-risk drugs that chronic illness patients can try in terms of the percentage of people reporting really bad experiences. I doubt that ginseng would have the same effect. Their theory crafting seems disconnected with what patients are reporting so I don’t see their theory being helpful at the moment.