Artemisinin - a Nobel-prize winning antiparasitic drug that's not ivrmectin

You’ve heard about a Nobel prize winning antiparasitic drug called ivermectin. But there’s another Nobel prize winning antiparasitic drug called artemisinin.

Artemisinin is a molecule that is naturally made by Artemisia Annua (sweet wormwood).

I believe that repurposed antimicrobials have a role to play in the treatment of long haul syndromes. But because a lot of treatment options are experimental, we should focus more on the antimicrobials that are safe in healthy people.

However, some drugs turn out to be far less safe in chronic illness patients (antibiotics like penicillin and the flox antibiotics, COVID vaccines). What’s safe in healthy people doesn’t always translate to chronic illness patients. So there’s your informed consent. This is medical experimentation.

Hopefully this drug turns out to be “ivermectin #2”- another antimicrobial that will help a small portion of patients get their lives back.

Use in traditional medicine

Artemisinin is related to Artemisia Annua extract; however, the two are very different. Artemisia Annua extract has antimalarial properties even though it contains very little artemisinin (see this paper). I reacted negatively to Artemisia extract but not artemisinin.

Artemisia Annua and its extracts have been used in traditional medicine in Asia and Africa. In Chinese medicine it is called qinghaosu and it is used to treat fever and malaria. It is used to treat malaria in Africa.

Artemisinin is similar to other drugs such as artesunate. Artesunate is the drug of choice to treat malaria when it is combined with something else.

Mechanism of action

Most of the top treatments for treating long haul are antimicrobials

Animal models of autoimmunity

Here’s a good review paper: Immunoregulation by Artemisinin and Its Derivatives: A New Role for Old Antimalarial Drugs

It improves outcomes in different models of autoimmunity in animals.

Antimalarial

While it works against malaria, the mechanism of action is unclear. Wikipedia states:

As of 2018, the exact mechanism of action of artemisinins has not been fully elucidated.[30] Artemisinin itself is a prodrug of the biologically active dihydroartemisinin. This metabolite undergoes cleavage of its endoperoxide ring inside the erythrocytes. As the drug molecules come in contact with the haem (associated with the hemoglobin of the red blood cells), the iron(II) oxide breaks the endoperoxide ring.[31] This process produces free radicals that in turn damage susceptible proteins, resulting in the death of the parasite.[32][33] In 2016 artemisinin was shown to bind to a large number of targets suggesting that it acts in a promiscuous manner. Artemisinin’s endoperoxide moiety is however less sensitive to free iron(II) oxide, and therefore more active in the intraerythrocytic stages of P. falciparum .[34] In contrast, clinical practice shows that unlike other antimalarials, artemisinin is active during all life cycle stages of the parasite.[35]

Antiviral, antibacterial

Artemisinin has shown antirival effects against HIV in one study by Lubbe and colleagues (doi:10.1016/j.jep.2012.03.024).

Artemisia Annua extract (not quite artemisinin) shows limited effectiveness against Lyme. See Feng and colleagues.

Artesunate, which is in the artemisinins family with artemisinin, may improve short-term memory in Lyme borreliosis when combined with IV ceftriaxne. See Puri and colleagues.

Where to buy

iHerb sells artemisin under the Doctor’s Best brand (cheaper) and the Nutricology brand.

It’s a supplement so you can probably find it at other supplement retailers like Amazon Ebay etc.

Safety

This is an antimicrobial so I would expect that it is a double-edged sword in chronic illness patients. (Yes, you can be hurt by this. Start with low dosages and quit if things are going the wrong way.)

It has been sold as a supplement for a long time without issues; artesunate has been used extensively for malaria.

1 Like

My anecdote

Tilorone (1 pill/week) shifted my sleep cycle later. Taking artemisinin on top of tilorone shifted it back to a more normal sleep cycle. I can go to sleep at between 11-12PM.

It may help my irregular heartbeat slightly but I’m not 100% sure. I still have an irregular heartbeat despite tilorone helping a little.

This drug did less for me than ivermectin and black seed oil (from Nigella Sativa).

1 Like

I have had success with Mg for irregular heartbeat, have you tried nattokinase? I have heard some promising things about it. I suffer from reoccurring clotting, so NAC is also in my tool belt.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried natto yet. I hope to survey people about the natural and prescription anticoag drugs soon.

However, a number of ME/CFS and Long COVID patients have already tried anticoag with mixed results. Like with many treatments, some people report positive experiences and some people have negative experiences. The drugs definitely make you bleed more, which is a common side effect.

Magnesium didn’t do anything for me although I bought low-quality magnesium.

1 Like

I am on Xarelto for life, also take a daily half dose aspiri , but my blood still seems thick, I dont think I am having natural blood clots, the first episode I had 5 clots in my lungs and my d-dimer was slightly elevated, the second time it was negative and they found a clot with the CT.

1 Like